Thursday, March 24, 2011

Six





This week we celebrated Q's birthday. He had his party on Sunday and he had a blast. Wednesday was his actual birthday so we sent him to school with doughnut holes to celebrate with his class and after school we took him out for ice cream. Then on Thursday, we brought cupcakes so he could celebrate with his taekwondo class. He's six, I can't quite wrap my brain around that yet. I still think of him as a quirky little two year old. My brother says that doesn't go away, in his mind his kids remain a particular age and it always shocks him that they are older than the way he thinks of them.
So at six, he now loves nerf guns and Star Wars, but he also still loves his "pets". I don't think he would admit to loving his "pets" out in public because he now labels certain things as "babyish". For his birthday he got a ton a great "boy" presents, but since I'm not quite ready to let go of his little boy qualities, I indulged his love of "pets" and bought him plush toys of some of his favorite book characters for his birthday.
The baby in the car seat is the one we brought home 6 years ago. The kid sleeping with his pets now sets his alarm to wake up for school and wears a watch so he'll know when to expect me to show up for him at child care. At the age of six, he's old enough to tell time, but is still my baby that wants me to hurry up and pick him up from child care. I'm so grateful that he still has a hint of little boy qualities . I'm pretty sure that all of his little boy qualities will be gone by his seventh birthday and I'm dreading it already.

1 comment:

michelle michael said...

oh, i remember that adorable baby! it's hard to believe he is six! we love you, Q!